[gothic-l] SV: Eruli, Etymology and Scandinavia.

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Mar 7 15:37:02 UTC 2002

Keth,

Really don't know what to answer here.

I think I'll stick with Taylor, if you don't mind.

Maybe you should try to present your own
terminology if you don't like the linguistical
terms used. You answer the questions, and
please provide some sources.

What is the role of Russian language here?
Could you please develop the theme?

Erulically

Bertil

By not adressing the presented argument, which was
illustrated by a small sample dialogue between a ROMAN
and a HERUL.

No Sir, it was "recorded" for your benefit.

But is "organic" or "inorganic" the correct term?
I think it should be either voiced versus voiceless, OR pronounced
versus unpronounced. Which of the two is it?

I agree that if it was an H like the Russians have it,
(you'll know what I mean, if you've ever spoken to
a Russian who recently learned to speak Swedish)
then the Romans might have transliterated it as Ch-

But how can we be sure the various Germanic groups spoke
uniformly? Granted, some may have used a "rough" H (à la Russe)
but others may have used the H pretty much like it is
used in modern German or Swedish.

What we know is that for example Jordanes (or better:
the various Mss. that derive from Jordanes original Ms.)
sometimes writes ChILPERIC, and at other times HILPERIC.

Now what does that tell us about how the Germanic groups
of the period used H?

And note that Heruls is also with H in the Jordanes Mss.

The fact that he never writes "Cheruls", can be easily
explained as being either due to:
1) convention
2) non-uniformity in the voicing of H among different Germanic groups.
   (Hilperic was a Frank, not a Herul)
3) chance (tilfäldighet)

In § 23 Jordanes says that the Greeks call them "Eluri",
without H. But that is entirely according to our understanding
that Greek had no H. Hence they simply dropped the sound.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM