[gothic-l] Dudo's Gastae Normandorium

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Mar 11 20:37:35 UTC 2002

Le,

Thanks for the quote below. I suspect in this case
Scania was mean tto be Scandinavia. There are
no indications, as far as I know, of the Goths migrating
from the province of Scania.

Gothically

Bertil

> There has been  much talk lately about the ancestral home of the Goths,
> being Scania
> according to Dudo the Germanic speaking people came from the  area he called
> Scania
> Citing Dudo.
>      Thus, spread over the plentiful space from the Danube to the
> neighborhood of the scythian Black Sea, do there inhabit fierce and
> barbarous nations, which are said to have burst forth in manifold variety
> like a swarm of bees from a honeycomb or a sword from a sheath, as is the
> barbarian custom, from the island of Scania, surrounded in different
> directions by the ocean. For indeed there is there a tract for the very many
> people of Alania, and the extremely well-supplied region of Dacia, and the
> very extensive passage of Greece. Dacia is the middle-most of these.
> Protected by very high alps in the manner of a crown and after the fashion
> of a city. With Mars' forewarning, raging warlike peoples inhabit those
> tortuous bends of extensive size, namely the Getae, also known as Goths,
> Sarmatians and Amacsobii, Tragoditae and Alans, and also very many nations
> who live by cultivating in the Baltic marshes. (note 2)

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM