[gothic-l] The Language of the Goths

Lada smntpk at PTT.YU
Tue Mar 12 19:27:49 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Mark Carey <smcarey at artsci.wustl.edu>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 6:46 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] The Language of the Goths

> > in a clearly defined and identified area of northern Poland and
> > nowhere else. BTW, even the latest Brockhaus entry on the Goths has
> > now abandoned the old thesis of a Scandinavian origin of the Goths.
> >
> > Dirk
>

> Where does the linguistic evidence fall in this regard. Is there a heavy
> Gothic influence on Polish -- or are you dealing with "German" areas of
> Poland -- how about gothic influence on Old Prussian -- or does your
> theory force one to reconsider whether the Gothic Language was actually
> spoken by the "Goths"?
>
>     I think the language influenced must have been ment to Old High
German. It does contain some words which can be soundly suspected to have
come through Gothic. Beside that Old High German shares with Gothic some
inherited forms it does not with most other Germanic languages.
      Otherwise speakers, of the west - slavic dialect, which would become
Polish did not live anywhere nearby, at the time ( if you ment your question
as a ridicule, you might be surprised to know how many very early Gothic-
pre -wulfilian Gothic lonewords there were in Slavic ).
                             Il Akkad

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM