[gothic-l] Re: The Language of the Goths: to Keths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 13 09:07:57 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> -----in GOTHIC-L@, dirk@ wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> >> Well, if Bertil does not care about the truth, as Dirk recently
> >> said, then Dirk himself clearly doesn't care about giving
> >> correct quotes. In fact, I just read the Brockhaus entry about
> >> the Goths, and it clearly says that :
> >>
> >> "nach der Einwanderung von «Traditionskernen» (unter andere
> >> Königsdynastie) aus Skandinavien, kam es um Christi Geburt
> >> in Ostpommern und an der unteren Weichsel....."
> >>

> Dear Dirk,
> You are definitely correct in saying that your edition is newer.
> I guess it is the electronic age that allows much quicker changes
> of entries in large encyclopedias of this kind.

> >Dear Keths,
> >
> >can it be that you are not looking at the latest edition?
> >
> >"The Bibliographisches Institut & F. A. Brockhaus AG, 2001"!!!!!
>
> The volume I consulted (Band 8, Seite 728) has 1997 printed
> on its inside cover.
>
> From your quote it seems as if they have finally incorporated
> the findings of the Polish archaeologists.
> But as far as I know, the Polish archaeologists do not deny
> a Scandinavian connection. Rather than that, they seem to wish
> to rephrase the question (die Frage verlageren), and reformulate
> the question to ask at what point on the Baltic coastline they first
> came ashore, since it is this question that poses the main
difficulty
> and not the other one.
>
> Cheers,
> Keth

Dear Keth,

Have you followed the discussion some weeks ago on Gothic
archaeology? I think the whole question is not as unclear or clouded
as it sometimes seems. I recomment to  you the work by Volker
Bierbrauer. He has published extensively on Gothic/Wielbark
archaeology and is seen as somthing of the leading expert. You can
for example, find his contribution in the Reallexikon der
Germanischen Altertumskunde for the Goths. Bierbrauer, like several
Polish archaeologists have identified spuradic Scandinavian influence
in the Wielbark culture at the end of the first century AD.
Bierbrauer and others clearly say that there is no way that the
Wielbark people or their culture came from Scandinavia. This is
implied by the undisputed fact that the Wielbark and its predecessor,
the Oksywie cultures are authochonous, and explicitly expressed by
Bierbrauer in his articles. This question is resolved. I also
provided a summary of the history of research on this question by
Jobst Blischke on this list.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM