[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 13 14:38:37 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> I think it is great that you laud the ZDF series of TV-programs on
> the Era of Migration including the migrational history of the
> Goths. This program was in the making for several years
> and is very well researched.

It probably is, but the part on the Cimbri had real short-commings.
They simply identified some skeletons from the Jutland Peninsula as
ethnic Cimbrians. Bad mistake! Would not happen to a professional
archaeologist. But than again Peter Arens is a journalist and
concerned with viewing quotas as well as historical evidence.

It certainly provides better and
> more focused insight and knowledge than a few archaelogists,
> who can anyway only provide a very small portion of a research,
> that has been ongoing for a very long time. Anyway, they
> probably don't know much about archaelogy in Scandinavia.

Yes, what to those experts know, anyway;-) I think I agree with you
the Goths are the off-spring of the great Scandianvian race. It was
from here that the world was rid of those decadent Romans and real
moral values and civilisation was installed in Europe;->

> May I point out that this is not only about four TV-programs.
> The research behind is provided in a detailed book that
> is enjoying great sales. To make one point, it could
> be useful to mention that it was a major in the British army
> that found the battleground of the Varus battle. So archaelogy
> has it uses but many of the best results are often from non-academic
> researchers.

You completely mix up things here. Of course, professional
archaeologists cannot run around in the country-side with a metal
detector. Firstly, this method is illegal in Germany and the good
Major escaped legal retribution only because he fully declared his
findings. Also, his luck does not elevate him above real experts.

> Don't know anything about how your arguments run, but in all
> fairness suggest that you have not provided a convincing
> argument by presenting a few names of a few archaelogists.

Well, you will have to read their research for yourself, I cannot
read it out for you.

> To make convincing case I suggest that you provide the full,
> texts.

I provided the full references repeatedly. I am not your private
librarian - Get the relevant material yourself.

 Otherwise there is always the lingering suspicion that
> you have only provided the parts that support your position,
> a weak one at that, I might add.

Don't confuse that, that is your strategy, as Andreas uncovered
repeatedly;-)

> Yes, I agree. It is important to read the relevant literature,
> but not the irrelevant.

So why don't you get yourself the relevant literature for a change,
instead of relying on popular science TV programmes and 50-year old
writings. Did you read the latest book by Malcolm Todd on the
migrations? It came out just a few weeks ago. I can tell you, you
will not like it a bit, but it is more relevant than the works you
choose to rely on.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM