[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 13 15:54:43 UTC 2002

> >  I cannot but add that science is now discarding the theories of
invasions
> and is turning to synthesis theory (as in the case of celtic
expansion) .

That is interesting. Did you have a chance to read Walter Pohl's new
book on the Migrations? Part of the title is 'conquest and
integration', maybe he reflects on this. I shall have my copy next
week or. The book just came out.

So
> we should think of certain archaelogical cultures as cultures, not
peoples.
> It is plausible that a part of a nation would come into the sphere
of
> influence of one culture and other parts not. Besides, how can you
tell that
> Goths began their migrations as a single people and not as a
confederacy,

I think it is widely accepted that the Wielbark culture comprised not
only of Goths, but also of Lemovians, Rugians and perhaps other
unnamed groups. The migration to the Black Sea was done over some
three generations and probably involved many different groups. In
each generation, locals were likely absorbed into the Wielbark group
and pulled south in the next generation leading to a substantial
change of the Goths by the time they reached the Black Sea.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM