[gothic-l] The Gothic Migration Epic

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Mar 13 16:05:36 UTC 2002

S.M.C.,

As has been discussed on this list (see the archive)
the Gothic origin in Scandinavia had nothing to do
with the Svear. The Scandinavian origin is in Vaester-
goetland and Oestergoetland (Goetaland) and on the island of Gotland.
But the Swedes used the Gothic argument during 1618-1648
in the Gothicism of the age (see also Austria, Spain and Den-
mark).

Gothically

Bertil

> Well, yes, if "Sweden" extends further south than the high points of
> Aldophus Gustav's conquests. All evidence seems to indicate that Germanic
> was a broad phenomenon -- and not to take light of your post -- northern
> influences continued, through migratations to affect the development of
> German will into the common era -- but what is interesting here is that
> the "Gothic" activity -- in terms of language seems to be taking place
> further south than Scandavia -- and I now
> get the feeling that most on the list are
> really discussing Goths who never spoke Gothic.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM