[gothic-l] Re: Wielbark/Goto-Gepidic culture

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Mar 14 07:57:17 UTC 2002

Dear Ingemar,

can I ask you if you read the archaeological studies of the Wielbark
culture by Bierbrauer and/or Blischke and the work on the Przeworsk
culture by Godlowski?

> You say Wielbark is autoochtonous  meaning you say it formed
locally.
> Well,I am not disputing it's local formation but the parts from
which it
> formed.

The archaeologists that I read say that it developed from the Okcywie
culture, meaning that it is autochtonous. BTW, you mis-typed the word
as Keth will surely point out later;-)

There are indeed changes even inside the Wielbark-culture and
> local differences between different parts of the culture. These
include
> elements traceable to Scandinavia for instance.

As is well documented by Bierbrauer. These elements appear 'alien and
spuradic'. They are not a constituent part of the Wielbark culture,
according to Bierbrauer.

Peter Heather regarded
> the Wielbark culture as a great cultic league and saw a lot of
different
> elements in there of different origin.

The Wielbark culture probably did comprise of people with a distinct
form of believe, which was among others expressed by the fact that a
Gothic warrior needed no weapons in the after life. A fact that
separates the Wielbark-'religion' from that of Przeworsk and of
course Scandinavian groups.

BTW, what are the different origins according to Heather?

Accordingly there might have been
> a number of more or less related tribes living there in unity but
> originally coming from different areas.

That is not born out by the archaeological findings, as Wielbark
deveoped locally. This local group may have split up at times, but
its main elements still is based on local cultures not new comers.

 Any culture must be put together
> by something - it not just starts right up and down but develope
for a
> long time and all the time accepting influences and people from
around.

It certainly must have a basis, a predecessor, which is the equally
local Oksywie culture. However, a culture does not have to physically
come from different geograhic location. Otherwise, we would have an
endless chain of cultures coming from somewhereelse.

> The later Gepidic culture examined by Jerzy Ockulicz-Kozaryn was in
any
> way multi-ochtonous showing clearly outside elements  forming new
> rituals, reusing old  cemetaries et c.

I doubt that there is a Gepidic culture. The Gepids were most likely
a part of the Wielbark culture. If it was non-autochtonous in some
areas it means that it spread to new areas.

This was a late and evident
> thing, but for the Wielbark/Goto-Gepidic/Burgundian culture (pick
your
> choice)

The Burgundians are not part of the Wielbark culture, their
settlement areas were likely too far west.

in whole this must have been a long process and of course have
> included elements from the Okshöfde/Oksywie-culture.

Wielbark did not just include elements of the Oksywie culture, it is
the continuation of the Oksywie culture.

A gradual
> Scandinavian immigration during a half millenium,  mixing up with
this
> culture, would not show that much archaeologically because some
local
> habits and  material was of course accepted also by newcomers but
there
> still is a striking similarity between Westscandinavian burial
customs
> and Wielbark about BC and slightly later, and  between
Eastscandinavian
> and Wielbark from c:a 300 BC.

The Wielbark culture did not exist in 300BC, it only emerged some 200
years later! According to the latest archaeological research there
was not continuous Scandinvaian outmigration into the Wielbark
culture, let alone stretching over a period of half a millenium.

>The integration theory mentioned by, I
> think Pohl, in this case sounds very interesting.

If you stop regarding
> Goths just as a people or a uniform archaeological culture and see
them
> as several peoples united by a common religious heritage, as I do
in my
> dissertation, this would explain that there is hard to find early
> artefacts of uniform type.

The interesting thing is that there are a mass of artefacts of
uniform, distinct Wielbark style. Especially in its beginnig the
Wielbark culture is very uniform, with very little variations.

Such occur first in larger scale when these
> different small groups-tribes start forming a common culture like
in
> e.g. Cernjachov. Still the early graves can indicate a possible
> religious, and hence Scandinavian, connection in spite of Volker
> Bierbrauers et consortes opinion. The most part of Scandinavian
> influence is, as I see it, the religious origin and the actual
number of
> Scandinavians might not have been so great to be able to settle
these
> traditions and form a certain position of power of at least part of
the
> area.

But why then does the Wielbark culture display evidence of a
religious and cultic practice that is completely different to that of
Scandinvian cultures?

Why do Wielbark people built completely different houses, make
different pottery and different dress ornaments from Scandinavians?

This could well explain Ablabius reference to Berig and
> Scandinavia. Still the remaining Scandinavian peoples like Jutar,
Gutar
> and Gauts also are Goths even if they did never live in the
> Vistula/Weichsel region. This is also Hachmanns opinion.

Hachmann (1970) has a very ambivalent position. On the one hand, his
arachaeological investigation shows that the Wielbark culture is not
related with Scandinavian cultures. He thus confirms the finding made
by Polish archaeologists, but he also believes in a connection
between Goths and Scandinavia.

The contacts
> between these groups all the time remained, to judge by
archaeological
> finds, and I am convinced people from these folks  took part in the
> Gothic campaigns.

What archaeological finds show that contacts remained and what
archaeological finds show that the Scandinavian people participated
in Gothic campaigns. Since this is something of an outlier position,
I would like you to be very specific.

The question of  the Gothic language contra
> Scandinavian languages is of subordinate significance because
Gothic was
> not influenced by the first language shift and hence must originate
from
> before the first possible emigration about 350-300 BC, when
> East-Scandinavian burial customs match areas in the
Vistula/Weichsel
> region.

Gothic must have been through the frist Germanic sound shift, if I am
not mistaken.

This means the languages developed in different directions from
> around BC and locally on the Continent the old language remained.

I thought you just said that they were in constant contact over some
500 years? How come that their languages deveoped so differently then?

It
> means Scandinavians coming later accepted the majority language,
which
> was essential to be able to communicate in an already established
> culture. Communication was important to be able to take control of
> leading positions e.g. About the Scandinavian languages we do
however
> not know for sure that they changed in own directions before 150 AD
when
> Ptolemaios indicates it by using the form 'Goutai'.
>
> About the heritage of the present Scandinavian population, which
you
> asked about, I would presume they might have immigrated in
Scandinavia
> from somewhere during Neolitic time or early Bronze Age because the
> original population up here seem to have been Saami or  related
peoples.

As I said earlier, this was a rethorical question.

Overall, I stick to what Andreas said earlier, namely that the East
Germanic people of the Goths originate from the area of the Wielbark
culture in modern northern Poland. The Wielbark culture is
autochtonous, just as its predecessor the Oksywie culture, which does
not exclude outside influence. In fact, at times this influence
might have been significant on a non-material level.

At any rate the migration will have changed the Goths fundamentally.
The Goths of the Black Sea area were in my view a very different kind
of people from the Goths at the Vistula. The gradual movement of
Suebian tribes into modern south-west Germany might be a good
example. They started out as distinct and in some cases highly
esteemed tribes, yet after their migration, they are a conglomerate
of many peoples and groups, which is reflected in their name
Alamanni. The Goths kept the name, but they were probably just as
much a new and changed conglomerate of peoples when they arrived at
the Black Sea.

cheers,

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM