[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic Migration Epic

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Mar 14 16:11:31 UTC 2002

>  > >Tore,
>>  >
>>  >So the Gotlanders came from Sweden,
>>

>>  Dirk,
>>  You need a better map.
>>  I didn't say the Gotlanders came from Sweden. I said they came from
>>  the east, and on my map Sweden is west
>>  Tore
>  > --
>
>Sorry Tore,
>
>I overread this, simply assuming that Gotlanders came from modern
>Sweden as most people would I suppose. So Gotlanders are more closely
>related to the Finno-Ugric and/or Baltic people then to Germanic
>peope? Interesting, I did not know that.  When was Gotland first
>settled?
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
Gotland was first settled about 8000 years ago. The ice started
leaving about 10000 years ago.

There are close contacts with the Lustitanian culture. New elements
of people or ideas are infiltrated.

We see a big shift about 5300 years ago when the famous Gotlandic
astronomical calendars starts.
Another shift is in the bronze age when a new burial wiht ships starts.

The Finno-Ugric people I think came to the Baltic later.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM