[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Advantages- Horses-

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Mar 21 18:33:20 UTC 2002

>.
>
>I have problems digesting this comment about grain eating horses.
>
>Grain are much used today(not in Iceland) to feed horses. But the
>older horse races did not feed on grain. Icelandic horses were never
>given grain. They ate grass. And still do,though today grain might be
>used to suppliment their diet.
>
>They are even kept out the whole winter up here to make them strong.
>Then they are given dry grass and access to a shelter. Then they dig
>through the snow and eat,yes frozen grass.
>
>These are small and disease free horses. You cannot compare the old
>races to the horses you see around in Europe today. Except the
>Icelandic horse ( and presumably the other older races!). The older
>races were much healthier,more resistant to diseases,needed less care
>and less to eat.
>Horse race like the Icelandic one would be perfect for somebody using
>a bow. Because those horses have the ability to walk/run in a special
>way making it easy for the rider to hold balance and use a bow.
>
>This way of walking/running, the horse can do in 5 ways(I think) but
>that ability all these "newer" races do not have. Maybe 3 ways!
>
>The origin of the Icelandic horse is not known. It is not related to
>Norwegian breeds. Not as far as I know.
>
>It is accepted that this race came with the settlers about 1100 years
>ago.

The Gotlandic horses are the same and perhaps forfathers to the Icelandic ones.

They are out all year and breading on grass.

Tore

>I have problems believing the Romans were too poor to have horses.
>And the horses have great advantages as carriers of supplies and
>could therefore save time,manpower and energy.
>
>Bless,bless Einar ############

FIND OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS and OLD FLAMES
Click here to start your search at Reunion.com today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NFsLKA/Dn2DAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM