[gothic-l] Gothic Cavalry Strength

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Mar 23 10:29:01 UTC 2002

Keth,

Am glad that you are in good health.

The difference between the Goths and the American Indian of
course being that the Goths fought with tactics and strategy
in mind. Some of it they learned having been Roman commanders
(note Alaric, for instance). The American Indian however skilful
rider, was only able to perform small guerrilla raids and had
no strategic thinking. The victory at Little Big Horn came as
a result of Custer's carelessness. It was an exception and used
by the Indians because Custer, a reckless man, exposed
himself.

So in my opinion it may not in the end be the riding skills but
the ability to perform during large military battles that counts. Yes, the Ostro-
goths (not the Visigoths) were conquered by the Huns but it turned
out to be a lucky strike. They learned to use the new weapon
in warfare and would be part of the RMA of the time.

Gothically

Bertil

> I think I found it. I will put my bet on the American Indians.
> They could hide on one side while in full gallop.
> Somehow people with Chinese blood are just better.
> The Goths were heavy and large. Not very good horseriders.
> But of course they used horses. They had to. Just like we have
> to use cars, even if everybody can't be Michael Schumacher
> or whatever his name is.
>
> But back to the cowboys or the U.S. Cavalry. If they are backed
> up by a railway system, there is no reason not to transport
> stores of oatmeal to the area where the horses operate.
> Oats are so healthy because they contain much more proteins than
> other kinds of cereals. But maybe such well fed warriors are
> not so good at taking out the last bit. The sinewy and agile
> Huns beat the Goths. The American Indians beat Custer.
> But in the long run the overfed and less agile "civilized"
> people tend to pull the longest straw. Witness the exit of the Huns,
> and Custer's opponents, the American Indians, they too lost.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM