[gothic-l] Roman Cavalry Weakness

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Mar 25 12:01:46 UTC 2002

Personally I think the sources you are presenting
does not capture the spirit of the constant down
spiral of the late Roman forces. It is quite
possible that you have done some reading on the
subject. To call that a reading list  it commonplace, elementary and
fundamental is not very helpful in the discussion.

As far as I understand you have admitted that there
are no real certain figures of the cavalry component
in the late Roman army. And I fully agree.

Your answer is full of generalisations and I miss facts.
The military weakness was a fundamental part of the
downfall of the empire. It is well known that a few
of the participants on the list want to ignore that the late
Roman empire collapsed, due to failing in the armies, which
were non-Roman anyway.

Here is a small list of recommended reading. I am
excluding Ferrill, which has been mentioned already.

Jones, A.H.M., :The Later Roman Empire, 284-602_
4 vols, Norman: University of Oklahoma.

Nicasie, M.J., _Twilight of Empire_ Amsterdam. Gieben, 1998

Especially Nicasie offers what late Roman military studies
have lacked. He analyses both the theoretical organization
and the practical operations extending right down to
the late 4th century. But he fails concerning the eight last
decades of the 5th century, in my opinion.

What is most important, he confirms that
the small Roman cavalry was tactically mobile, but strategically
inefficient because of the need to protect the horses, which is
part of any cavalry campaign, anyway. Roman cavalry could
therefore not function as a central rapid-response unit, an
observation with profound implications for imperial defense,
which O'Neil does not take into account.

Would also like to recommend to you the work of E. Luttwak
on the strategy of the Roman empire. Although I don't agree
with Luttwak's views expressed in his later works I think L.
presents a good picture.

After the views you have presented I think Quigley's opinions stand
out well: the late Roman empire was a faulting slave-holding society.
North of the Alps where the incentives of free men, who had much
to gain from extending the grain crops, thus providing for the feeding
needed by the increased cavalry.

The cyclical views of civilizations as evidenced in the decline and fall
of the Roman empire was expressed thus by Professor Quigley:
"civilizations come into existence, rise and flourish, and go out
of existence by a slow process which covers decades or even centuries_
(see Quigley's _The Evolution of Civilizations_) Basically the Roman
empire had become a non producing society and did not create the
wealth it once did. A civilization, of the type of the Greco-Roman,
was a producing society that once, but no longer, had an instrument
of expansion. Such a society is mainly organized to carry out three
activities

1. it has an incentive to invent new things or new ways of doing old
things. This was lacking in the Late Roman empire

2. it is able to produce and accumulate an economic surplus, or
wealth that does not need to be consumed immediately. Also this
aspect was clearly noticeable in the late West roman empire

3. and it has to use the surplus to pay for or make use of these
things it invents. West Rome was a stagnant society which probably
lost its will to expand around the battle of Adrianople.

Personally I think the ZDF TV series and the accompanying book
has well covered the details on the fall of the West Roman empire
to be replaced by the four kingdoms I mentioned in an earlier
contribution. I will be happy to return to that.

So my question would finally be if you can provide any more
material that illustrates the adaptation of West Roman cavalry
in the late empire (and expansion). Although I think that Quigley's view is basically
correct there is as far as I know no estimate of the Roman cavalry
for the decades from ca. 400 AD to 476 AD, but it is quite
possible that you can provide those figures and sources,
that I may have overlooked.

We may also differ on the subject of this exchange, which on my
part is more to find the explanation of the rapid disintegration of
Rome in the West.

It is not for one part of such a discussion to formulate what the
discussion is about. Also a discussion may evolve during
the exchange to cover other ground.

Bertil Haggman
author, director

Access Your PC from Anywhere