[gothic-l] Musical tools Goths?

AElfric and Ursula amale at ANGELFIRE.COM
Mon Mar 25 17:35:32 UTC 2002

Hails!

>Who can inform about musical tools Goths, music, songs,
>Whether there are ethnographic collectives ISPOLNQ@]IE now music Goths,
> And singing on Gotish language??????
>I shall be grateful for any information!

Unfortunately no songs in the Gothic language have survived. However, there are 21 melodies which survive from the Visigothic liturgy.  Since they are quite hard to find, I plan on eventually posting them on a web page, in modern notation, and making them available in recorded form as well.

There is one CD which *may* preserve remnants of melodies from the Visigothic liturgy, but the singing is of course not in the Gothic language.  It is "Chant Mozarabe, Cathedrale de Tolede" (Ensemble Organum, Marcel Peres).

As for recordings of singing in the Gothic language, so far I know of none except the one that I am currently recording.  I have written Germanic Alliterative Verse poems in the Gothic language, and I am using the surviving Visigothic melodies which preserve the most folkish characteristics, some of which work VERY well with  Gothic GAV.

I have also written a couple of my own melodies based on the the folkish elements of the surviving ancient melodies.  In terms of modes, I am making use of Boethius' statement which indicates that the Goths favoured the Phrygian mode.

Therefore, both authentic and reconstructed melodies will appear on this CD, which will be my attempt at reconstructing ancient Gothic folk music.  If all goes on schedule, I estimate it should be released by next October.

Albareiks

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM