[gothic-l] Hello

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Thu May 23 14:52:27 UTC 2002

Welcome,

> Iam new to this group, but Iam have strong interest in the Gothic
> peoples of Europe. I still to believe that the peoples of southern
> Sweden, and Gotland, Northern Germany, Western Russia, and English
> people (distant relation;will be discuused) have Goth blood that runs
> in their veins.

I don't know what you could possibly mean with this. A supposed blood
connection is absurd talk, and the Goths were a VERY polyethnic composition to
say the least. For instance, the Visigothic ethnogenesis (378-418AD) involved
peoples like Huns, Taifali and Vandals to a certain degree. The Ostrogoths appearing
after the fall of Attila and the Hunnic Kingdom (after 454AD) were clearly blended to
some degree with Huns, and certainly Sarmatian and Alani elements must have been present
as well.

Moreover, the first Goths are attested in modern Poland (Wielbark culture, 1st century)
by Strabo 16-18AD (Gutones), and I don't know about any early connections to English
people at all - that would be very anachronistic!Please provide a source for such a statement!
You will find eloquent discussions about a supposed Scandinavian influence on the
Wielbark culture if you search through the archives of this list!

They are a very unique group of people, as 300
> century they conquered nealy all of Scythia, blandeting all Scythia
> tribes and 'slammed' into the Black sea far south.

By 250AD the migration had definitely reached the Ukrainian steppes, and Goths are attested in
Dacia as well (251AD - the defeat of Decius and his army outside Abrittus/Razgrad - modern Bulgary).
There is no way of saying that the Goths conquered all of the Scythian lands if you take into consideration
that the Scythian dominion possibly reached as far as the Caspian Sea and Caucasus
(see Malcolm Todd's latest book!) and to my knowledge the Goths are not attested that far!
Concerning the extent of Ermenaric's lands (Scythia and Germania according to Jordanes),
there is once again eloquent discussions on the matter in the archives of this list.

They also migrated
> west towards the Rhein river, crossed it, and have emulated with
> other peoples and other who have split the tribe and established own
> tribes in Germany, which interculturalted many German tribes and
> peoples. Then the West Goths, or politically correct the Visigoths,
> crossed the Rhein to conquer Spain of course. They have been seen
> very barbaric and one of the worst what the Romans called, but their
> culture favored the Romans as much as they wanted an Empire like the
> Romans.

If you are referring to the famous crossing in 406/407AD, I must inform you that the Goths were no
attested part of this - the Suevi, Vandals and Alans passed. A major part of the Greutungi had been
subjugated by the Huns from 375AD and they remained under them until 454AD.
The Goths didn't cross the river Rhine on their way to Gaul and later Spain. They went through
Italy and entered Gaul in 412AD, under Athaulf.

> Al

Best,
Oskar

FREE COLLEGE MONEY