[gothic-l] Re: Goths,

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue May 28 07:33:11 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
>
> It is important to remember that the question of the origin
> of the Goths is not solved and is the matter of extensive
> debate, on this list and elsewhere. It is therefore important
> to note that some of the German language material produced
> (I am excepting Peter Arens) should be read with great
> caution. For those who do not read German the book below
> is providing some information of interest.

A good recent book on the subject is:

The visigoths from the migration period to the seventh century. an
ethnographic perspective. edited by Peter Heather
Studies in historical archaeoethnology. vol. 4
Woodbridge. Boydell Press. 1999

In the first contribution, the participants of the symposium on which
the book is based discuss the question of the origin of the Goths.
Once again, none of them believed that the old theory of a
Scandinavian homeland can be supported anymore. Especially, if you
read the recent books, by Heather, Todd, and Pohl, it is clear that
the question is not as 'unresolved' as some may want it to see, the
evidence is already plentiful.

There is alo no need to read this modern literature with caution
(unless the author is a hobby historian and journalist like Peter
Arens, or course).

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.