[gothic-l] Goths and Scandinavia

Sahin Ahmet ahmetsahinn at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 31 15:07:52 UTC 2002

 My opinion is that since germanic branching is so young and seems to be starting from some time on, a geographically isolated region like north scandinavian shore would be a possible origin of the goths. just a theory!  Poland as a plain land in my opinion can not be an original place preserving cultural unity.
  Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at ebox.tninet.se> wrote:
There has been some negative comments concerning connections Goths and
Scandinavia as answers to Al. In some cases Al evidently has
misunderstood the Goths activities, indeed, but there still remains a
lot of Scandinavian  traces. You simply can not regard the Scandinavian
hypothesis as obsolete even if some new Anglo Saxon and German books
claim that. Bertil has pointed out other alternatives ( I am not
referring to Musset) and I could add my own doctoral thesis from 1999,
as revised book 2000, "The Well Spring of the Goths", still only in
Swedish,sorry to say, and also the Swedish archaeologist docent Anders
Kaliff with his Gothic Connections. Professor Erik Nylén of Gotland has
also written a lot about Scandinavian/Gotlandic Goths and even Hachmann
has agreed the Nordic peoples are Goths - not only the Vistula Goths.
Yurij Knysch also had some good arguments for a Nordic connection.
Herwig Wolfram also sees the connection. Another question is, of course,
if the Goths are a single folk or a number of different peoples as I
claim. I could not resist jumping into the debate but I have no time to
  continue now because I am still working on a paper  and   being busy
arranging the preparations for parttaking in an international conference
about Icelandic Sagas. I wish everybody a good summer already now
because I will just pop up now and then. I just file the digests for
later treatment.

Best regards
Ingemar

Buy Stock for $4