[gothic-l] "Tibr" or "Táibr" or "T-?-r" - some connections

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 1 05:21:50 UTC 2002

Háils Matthew!

Thanks for responding from the library!

>From my original post:
> > The word "aibr" also does not occur in my dictionary. It´s
clearly an accus. sg. neut. and means something like "offering", but
what is its primary dictionary meaning and declension? Is it "ái"
or "aí"?

> Koebler believes this to be a scribal error for another word, he
conjectures 'tibr'*, with the meaning indeed of sacrificial gift or
oblation, Greek 'dwron', Latin 'munus', German 'Opfer'. As such it
is developed from IE *di'pro-, *di'pera|- > Gmc. *tibram" st. neut.
> Go. tibr* neuter a-class (strong).
>
>         sg.    pl.
> n.    tibr    tibra
> a.    tibr    tibra
> g.    tibris    tibre
> d.    tibra    tibram

In Norse we have the words "tafn" (neut.), meaning "sacrifice", and
"taufr" (neut. pl.), meaning "sorcery" or "charms". From the gender,
meaning and overall appearance, it seems fair to conclude that these
Norse words are related to the Gothic one in question. Seeing the "a"
in the manuscript of Matthew makes me wonder if "Táifr" or some other
form with an "a" wouldn´t be more likely than Koebler´s "i". On the
other hand, it seems that his paradigm for the word is correct.

Does anyone have any further observations or sources about this word?
Any cognates from other tongues other than Norse?

Regards,
Konrad.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM