[gothic-l] Is þu "drugkans" jah "balþs" aíþþáu "þaúrsts" jah "agláits" ?

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 6 05:02:55 UTC 2002

Háilái Einar jah Troels jah galistans allái!

Most of the weak feminine nouns ending in -ei are formed from
adjectives. There are, however, gaps in the sequence. Consider:

Agláitei
áiþei
áudagei    - áudags
báitrei    - báitrs
balþei
baírhtei   - baírhts
bleiþei    - bleiþs
diupei     - diups
drugkanei
fródei     - fróþs
gagudei    - gaguds
garaíhtei  - garaíhts
gódei      - góþs
háuhhaírtei- háuhhaírts
hlútrei    - hlútrs
kilþei
liutei     - liuts
managei    - manags
marei
mikilei    - mikils
þramstei
þaúrstei

Based on the history of this declension, we should be able to fill
in a few adjectives here. Notice that the full root is preserved in
both the adjectives and the nouns quoted above. Here is an example:
"hlútrs" becomes "hlútrei", preserving the R of the stem. Here are
some of the lost adjectival forms that seem to lie behind the nouns:

agláits = lascivious, unchaste
balþs = bold
drugkans = drunken
þaúrsts = thirsty

Here is also a potential noun formed along the same lines:

grédagei = greed

This one is derived from extant adjective "grédags" = greedy; it
preserves the full stem - compare "áudags" and "áudagei" above. The
form "grédagei" ia also supported by Norse "græðgi" = greed.

It seems to me ridiculous to talk about drunkenness without the
possibility of being drunk or about boldness without the possibility
of being bold. Also, how can we talk about thirst without having
been thirsty? While I´m not suggesting that every noun of this
declension must needs be based on an adjective, I am suggesting that
more of them were than is now appearant. Some words, like "áiþei",
already have a phonologically corresponding form of a different
meaning (in this case "áiþs" = oath); others, like "þramstei", would
yield unlikely adjectives (in this case "þramsts" = locustlike).

If these forms or others like them have occurred to any of you, then
please let us know. It seems imperative that we recover what we can
of the basic vocabulary before we venture further off into the land
of coinages for modernity. Thoughts, observation, references and
other responses are always welcome. Is anyone "thirsty" for basic
adjectives or "unchaste" about getting into bed with them? Is anyone
feeling "drunk" or "bold" enough to uncover a few more?

Regards,
Konrad.