[gothic-l] Re: the Thuringians

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Nov 12 22:25:40 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I think that this relationship between Thuringians and Goths is
rather interesting, and I think that there is more to it than is
currently suggested in most of the literature.

As Andreas stated the Thuringians were rather important allies of
the Ostrogoths. At any rate, important enough for the Thuringian
king Herminafred to be married to Theoderic's niece Amalaberga.
However, there is evidence to suggest that this relationship between
Goths and Thuringians goes back further than the early 6th century.
Thus, there are a number of very important grave finds in the
Thuringian heartland, which show that high level contact between
Thuringians and Goths existed in the second half of the 5th century.
One can refere to the grave of Stoessen, which with its eagle-fibula
and Spangenhelm (with Christian imagery) is likely that of an
Ostrogothic arian warrior who died in Thuringia. Also, female graves
with Ostrogothic grave goods (eg. at Weimar, Muehlhausen and
especially Ossmannstedt) have been found in Thuringia, which date to
the 470 and 480AD. These graves have been interpreted as these of
Ostrogothic princesses and their followings who had been married to
unnamed Thuringian kings.

The Thuringians were first mentioned in 400AD, and people of the
Sintana de Mures/Chernyakhovsk culture (the same culture as the
Goths) were likely a dominante force in the creation of the
Thuringian kingdom (according to Berthold Schmidt). Two
archaeological groups, the Niemberger and Gross Badegaster groups
have migrated to the heartland of Thuringia from the middle Danube
in the last quarter of the 4th century, probably in flight from the
Huns. They also brought the practice of artificial skull deformation
to Thuringia, which has the highest share of all Germanic ethnic
groups of this steppe nomadic custom. Also, the custom of horse
burials spread essentially from Thuringia in the 5th century,
according to Berthold Schmidt, indicating a strong influence from
steppe nomadic people. In fact, archaeological evidence shows that
Huns had followed these Germanic groups to Thuringia and otherwise
unrecorded battles have taken place between them, as early
Thuringian warrior graves have been found where the bones had still
three-winged Hunnic arrow heads imbedded. Like the Ostrogoths the
Thuringians fought later with the Huns at the battle of the
Catalaunian fields. In short, while the historically recorded
contact between Herminafred and Theoderic dates to the early 6th
century, archaeology can show that Thuringians and Goths had high
level contact already throughout most of the 5th century. The influx
of East Germanic groups into Thuringia in the years before 400AD,
which likely caused the creation of a Thuringian kingdom could
suggest that this contact may go back to this peoriod and a partly
shared origin.

cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., Hieromonk Maximos <frmaximos at m...> wrote:
> >On 11 Nov 2002 at 17:38, Hieromonk Maximos wrote:
> >
> >>  Does anyone know the relationship between the Thuringians and
the Goths???

> >>  Rev.Hieromonk Maximos
> >>  <<http://www.monastery.org>http://www.monastery.org>Monastery
of
> >>the Glorious Ascension
> >>  Russian Orthodox Church
> >>

>><<http://www.monasteryproducts.org>http://www.monasteryproducts.org
>Monastery
> >>Products
> >>  706-277-9442 ( Voice)
> >>  206-984-0629 ( Fax)
> >>
> >Dear Rev.Hieromonk Maximos,
> >the Thuringians were allies of Theodoric the Great, the
Ostrogothic
> >ruler of Italy
> >between 493 and 526 AD. Their king Herminafrid married 508
Theoderic's niece
> >Amalaberga.
> >Kind regards
> >              Andreas Schwarcz
>
> Thank you, Herr Doctor Professor Schwarcz
>

> >You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank
> >email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at e...>.

> --

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/ASSHAA/wWMplB/TM