[gothic-l] Re: the Thuringians

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Nov 14 09:51:33 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "ravichaudhary2000" <Ravi9 at h...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >
> Dirk writes > Hello all,
>
> I think that this relationship between Thuringians and Goths is
> rather interesting, and I think that there is more to it than is
> currently suggested in most of the literature.
>
>  The Thuringians were first mentioned in 400AD, and people of the
> Sintana de Mures/Chernyakhovsk culture (the same culture as the
> Goths) were likely a dominante force in the creation of the
> Thuringian kingdom (according to Berthold Schmidt).
>
>  Two
> archaeological groups, the Niemberger and Gross Badegaster groups
> have migrated to the heartland of Thuringia from the middle Danube
> in the last quarter of the 4th century, probably in flight from the
> Huns. They also brought the practice of artificial skull
deformation
> to Thuringia, which has the highest share of all Germanic ethnic
> groups of this steppe nomadic custom.
>
> ******
> Ravi> " practice of artificial skull deformation " This is also a
> Hunnic, Saka, Massagetae custom. Looking eastward may not be all
that
> unprofitable.

That is what I meant. I uploaded a map to the file section of the
Germanic-L, under MAPS, map1, which shows the find distribution of
skulls with arteficial deformations in Europe. It is clear, that the
earliest examples occur in the south Russian steppe. From there the
custom moved westwards with Huns, Alans, Goths and other East
Germanic groups. The biggest concentrations of this custom are in
Pannonia, Moravia/Bohemia and especially Thuringia.