[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

ravichaudhary2000 Ravi9 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 14 21:55:45 UTC 2002

Dear, Francisc

To continue my education, and allow me to go a little slowly..

The G sound in "Getae" mid 5th century BC changes into the J sound
sometime in the our AD era, possibly 5th century and the word is then
pronounced as Jota or Jotah.

(These dates are rough markers only we can always go into detail
later.)

Now what are the arguments a trained linguist would use against your
argument, and how would you counter the arguments!!

There will be people who will argue against your understanding.

If you do not mind and have the patience, please elaborate and
expound on this.

I am very interested

Ravi

****************

Dear Ravi,

roughly speaking, you did understand it correctly, with the remark
that the "j" sound (like in English "job" etc.) appeared earlier, no
later than the 5/6th century.
It was not a sudden change, but an evolution conditionned by the
palatal nature of the following vowel (e or i), something like:
g > gy > dy > dj > j
The first stage was probably achieved in classical Latin time
(already before 0 AD), fact demonstrated by some phonetic changes in
classical Latin:
Arhaic Latin helu > Classical Latin holu
but celu and gelu remain unchanged (without the evolution e>o
before "l"), that proves the palatal nature of g and c before e
(pronounced probably at that time like gy, respectively ky).
However at that time the "gy" sound was only a slightly palatalized
[g] and was not perceived as something different from normal "g".

Francisc