[gothic-l] Gothic word for wicca, and wicce

Aaron Holt Holtingar at CCIS.NET
Sat Nov 16 17:02:05 UTC 2002

 -Hello Everyone!

 The word wælcyrige looks like an exact OE cognate for the ON Valkyrja, in
 fact I'm certain that it is. The meaning is the same as the ON in that the
 compound means "chooser of the slain" however I believe that the usage of
 this term wasn't quite as mythological amongst the other Germanic people as
 it is among the Norse.  I believe that the term was ascribed to the sort of
 use as the Gothic *haljaruna, It seems to be a designation for a woman with
 powers of divination that were believed to stem from the realm of the dead.
 I also mostly agree with Grimm's reconstructed *Walakusjo, however I think
 it may have been more like **Walakiusjo  since the Gothic word for "to
 choose" is Kiusan with an I before the u (note that this is an infinitive
so
 the suffix is different)
  as for a cognate for Wicca/Wicce Here is what Calvert Watkins says on the
 matter.
 -Wicca (masc.) Wicce (fem.)  along with wicked (I was wrong about there
 being no ModEng. cognate) are derived from the IE root, *weg- meaning to be
 strong or lively, from there we have the above mentioned OE forms, meaning
 "wizard" and then a reconstructed PrGmc *wikkjaz, "necromancer" ("one who
 wakes the dead").-
 so to find a Gothic equivalent, lets do a little reconstruction of our own,
 (the word hasn't survived to my knowledge in any extant Gothic text) we
know
 that from Proto-Germanic times to Gothic times there were a few important
 shifts which would effect our word.
 First there was the word stress rule which shifted stress to the initial
 syllable in most of the daughter languages of Proto-Germanic.  This
affected
 the suffix in that it was not pronounced as definitely, which turns our
word
 into an "East Germanic" sounding *wikkjz. then there was the "z-deletion"
 rule which devoiced or completely deleted (depending on environment) the
 sound z. Many Gothic forms preserve the Proto-Germanic suffix -az as -s
(-az
 > -z > -s) so its safe to say that the form is now *wikkjs, but the last
 change that we have to consider is the Gothic reflex of Sievers law which
 affects Proto-Germanic -ja class nouns (note *wikk-jaz.  The -ja is a
 subclass of the -a class) by placing an i before the j. Gothic has a reflex
 of this rule turning the Proto-Germanic -j- into an -i- before the -s
 since -js is usually an illegal combination in the word final position.  So
 now we have a hypothetical Gothic *Wikkis, whose meaning we can, never be
 too sure of apart from a general feeling of wizardry.
 I hope my nonsense is of some help to someone

 -Aaron

Also
> > the
> > > definition as well. Someone from another list told me it meant wisdom.
> > had
> > > seen
> > > a definition to bend or to  twist. Also just curious  in Wulfstan's
> > Address
> > > to the English. He uses the word wælcyrige  what Gothic equivalent is
> > there.
> > > Thank you
> > > Le
> > >

> > > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
> email
> > to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> > >
> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> > >

> > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
email
> > to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

> > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
email
> to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Share the magic of Harry Potter with Yahoo! Messenger
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4Q_cgB/JmBFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM