[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 18 09:12:51 UTC 2002

Dear Ravi,

what I have shown, using the arguments presented by Prof. Tagliavini,
is that in the spoken Latin language the G before e/i was, more or
less gradually, shifted to [dj] (like English "j") somewhere between
the 3rd and the 6th century. But George is right: at that time, the
Getae already disappeared, thus their name was not more a living word
in the Latin in course of evolving to Romance languages, but only a
word used by some scholars in their writings. In this case, it is
irrelevant wether they read it with "g" like in "get, give" etc.
(unther the influence or Greek pronunciation, where the word came
from in Latin) or with "g" like in "German" (under the influence of
spoken Latin). It was a word used only by a handful of scholars, and
forgotten by the vaste majority of Latin speakers.

Francisc