[gothic-l] Re: the Thuringians

Andreas Schwarcz andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Nov 25 16:27:27 UTC 2002

On 25 Nov 2002 at 13:58, faltin2001 wrote:

>> > Dear Andreas, > >
yes, I admitt I was not fully clear about the timeframe and projected > the situation in
the first half of the 6th century back to the last > decades of the 5th. On the other hand
by 493AD the Franks had > destroyed the kingdom of Syagrius and where probably
threathening the > Alamanns in the east and the Visigoths in the West. As such they
may > have been recognises as potential threat by Theodric at that time. >

Dear Dirk,
Theodoric tried to forge a system of stabile alliances to strengthen his hold on Italy in
the Nineties of the fifth century. So he got a connection to the main political powers
because all of them were potential allies or enemies. But the main threat surely were
then potentially the Burgundians on land and the Vandals as a naval power, both as
potential or actual allies of emperor Anastasius. There still was no common frontier
between  the Franks and the Ostrogoths.

 I also agree, but I thought that the position of the Ostrogothic king > in Italy, was either openly or tacitly seen as that of an Western > Roman Emperor by the other Germanic kindoms. However, this position > or perception may only have developed later on. The fact that the > Ostrogothic
kingdom could eventually not live up to this perception > is clear at least since the death of Theoderic, but possibly also > earlier when the Ostrogoths were unable to help the Visigoths in 507 > or the Heruls in 509.

Theodoric's dominant position in the West was due to his military success against
Franks, Burgundians and the Visigothic followers of Gesalech and dated from 510 AD
onwards, when Anastasius concluded a peace treaty with him and acknowledged his
right to nominate a consul for the Western Empire.

Kind regards
                 Andreas

 The reason why > > Roduulf was not bound by  a marriage, but by a Germanic
custom of > adoption by > > arms, may have been that he was still a heathen. But we
must > remember that > > Theodoric himself was honoured in the same way the
emperor Zenon in > 484 AD, so it > > certainly was at least as honourable and
important as a marriage > bond. > > > Agreed. > > best regards > Dirk > > > > ----------
-------------- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> > Shop for Posters and Prints
@ Art.com with state-of-the-art Custom Framing! >
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lAE0qB/adBFAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM > --------------------------
-------------------------------------------~-> > > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To
use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich