[gothic-l] Re: Old Turkish Runic Alphabet - what are your thoughts?

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 8 11:01:39 UTC 2002

As Soeren showed on the Germanic list, the resemblence of Germanic
and Turkish runes is superficial at best. Also, none of the
professional runologists seem to regard this as a serious option.
Moreover, to accuse those scholars of a pro-Jewish/Latin bias is
bordering on the absurd. In addition, the Goths did neither invent
the runes nor did they  transmit the runes anywhere. This theory is
long obsolete. And as Tore has pointed out the dating of the rune
stones mentioned in the original post is all wrong. The earliest
runic inscription are found in the areas of southern Denmark and
northern Germany.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., Sahin Ahmet <ahmetsahinn at y...> wrote:

> That is really fantastic! I dont understand why scholars have
overlooked that. They dont want to associate with Turks perhaps? But
the scientific proof is here. Now I understand what bias may lead to
and how scientists are so biased. They knew this fact for sure.
>  konrad_oddsson wrote:Some interesting pages about an old Turkish
runic alphabet:

> http://www.antalya-ws.com/futhark/index.htm
> http://www.turcman.btinternet.co.uk/futhark-alphabet.htm
>
> Any thoughts or responses to the Turkish connection? Did the
migrant
> Goths adopt the alphabet and bring it back to their Scandinavian
> homeland? Did Gothic merchants from the homeland pick it up while
> trading and mingling with their kin in the south of Europe?
Consider
> the dating of the oldest complete inscribed futhark (found on the
> island of Gotland and dating from around 100-200AD according to the
> usual estimates I have seen). The Christian scholars have argued
> various theories for years connecting the old alphabet to Latin,
> Greek, Etruscan, Phonecian, Hebrew and so forth. There seems to be
> clear bias in favour of peoples identified with the Jewish-
Christian
> tradition. Finding the origins of the Scandinavian futhark in a
> cultural exchange between Turks and non-Jewish-Christian Goths
would
> be hard for the Abrahamic purists in Scandinavia to swallow. I
would
> be interested to know your thoughts.
>
> Regards,
> Konrad.
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at e...>.

Service.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM