[gothic-l] A Question for Experts Regarding Parallel Mountains

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 23 12:33:27 UTC 2002

Greetings my fellow students!

  I wish to respond to the following exert from an older post by
Jeff and solicit any views or opinions you might have on this topic:

>  So, this posting (I)will hypothesize on the possible
Gothic Storm/Thunder god. Faírguneis was probably this god.  His
name presents interesting etymologies that are not without
controversy, and it seems as though the name is actually "back-
engineered" from Old Norse and Slavic. Dr. Polomé does present some
interesting possibilities: faírguneis (Go. "mountain") > Old Norse
Fjörgynn (masc. an "earth" god ?) Fjörgyn (fem., an earth goddess),
related to the Lithuanian Perkunas (Latin - quercus) "oak god",
Slavic Perun (piorun) "thunder god", Old Indic Parjánya, "rain god";
all derived from a common Indo-European theme: per-k / per-g-,
meaning "hit".  A closer look at Perun / Perkunas reveals that
certain rites were performed before him, such as the placing of arms
at his feet, and there were special imprecations hurled at anyone
who broke a vow. All in all, it is thought that Faírguneis was
replaced by þórr in Scandinavia leaving the etymologically connected
Fjörgyn as the mother of the thunder-god, þórr."

Here is my thought: the Goths would probably have used a genitive
construction followed by the word "baúr", just as in Norse. In Norse
we have Fjörgynjar Burr ("borr" may well have been an alternate form
found in other west-norse dialects). What is important in this
construction is that it uses the genitive of a feminine noun as a
modifier. In Norse, Frigg is also called "Fjörgyns Mær" - this is an
example of a similar construction employing the genitive of the
masculine as a modifier. The nominitive forms are Fjörgyn for the
feminine and Fjörgynr for the masculine. In Gothic we find the
word "faírguni", which is a neuter noun. While it would be quite
grammatically correct to use the Gothic form "Faígunjis Baúr", it
would seem that Gothic must have had masculine and feminine forms of
the word "faíguni" much as in Norse. Here is my question: what would
these forms have looked like, and how would they have declined?

Here is something similar: Gothic has neuter "kuni"(race/tribe) and
masculine "kindins"(ruler/governor), showing the same shift from "u"
to "i" which is found in parellel Norse words like "kyn"(kin/kindred/
kind/sort/gender) and the masculine "konr"(son/descendant/kinsman).
However, in Gothic we find no forms in the feminine echoing the
Norse "kind"(kind/race/creature/being). As "kuni" and "faírguni" in
Gothic are both neuters with endings in "-uni", what what a feminine
noun in Gothic look like along the lines of the Norse "kind"?

Please post any comments or sources which you may have regarding
this issue. Thank you.

Regards,
Konrad.

Plan to Sell a Home?