[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Oct 30 11:29:38 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "matt6219" <matt62 at f...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a simple question - is it known for certain how the
> letter "g" was pronounced in historical words ?
> For example, the "g" in Goths and Getae is pronounced differently.
> My question is whether it is known that this was how the words were
> pronounced, or whether this pronounciation is followed by
tradition ?

Hi,

I cannot answer your question, but I would be interested to hear your
description in what way the pronounciation of 'G' was different in
Goths and Getae.

One point perhaps, on coins, so-called Antonianiae and Aurei of
emperor Tacitus (not to be confused with the historian) the name of
the Goths is spelled 'VICTORIAE COTTHI'. I have two of these
Antoniniae with full silver-wash, i.e. in the highest possible
condition, yet the name of the Goths is definitely spelled with
a 'C'. It could of course mean that this was a fashion of the time,
yet on coins of Claudius II, Quintillius and Aurelianus the name of
the Goths is spelled with a clear and unmistakeable 'G',
i.e. 'VICTORIAE GOTHIC'. At any rate, is it possible that the writing
of the name Goths with 'C' and 'TT' reflected some sort of
pronounciation at the time?

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM