[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

matt6219 matt62 at FROG.RU
Thu Oct 31 22:38:51 UTC 2002

Thanks for your reply also, Matthew.
Judging both from your reply and from Dirk's, would i be right in
thinking therefore that we are not sure how either Goth or Getae was
pronounced ?
If so, then both could well have been pronounced with "g" as
in "Greek", or both "g" as in "German" (i.e. as "j") ?  Is there
anything which would show this to definitely not have been the case ?

--- In gothic-l at y..., "M. Carver" <me at m...> wrote:
> Hails!
>
> In Roman engraving and writing from early times C has been used
for G. Originally, there was no G, for which C
> stood. K was lost or something and C came to represent both C and
G. Eventually by adding a stroke to C they made
> the letter G. I think that's how it goes. Anyway, it was common to
use C, for instance Gaius was simply written C.
> even in later times. I don't know whether this practice was still
in use at the time of the Victoriae Gotthi
> inscription, but it seems likely. I only remember this from Latin
class and don't have any books to quote from right
> now.
>
> Cheers,
> -Matthew
>

> faltin2001 wrote:
>
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "ravichaudhary2000" <Ravi9 at h...> wrote:

> > of
> > time,
> > of
> > > writing

> > > Is this an isolated example ?
> > >
> > >  and
> > >
> > > how do you go from Cotti to Goth or viceversa ?
> >
> > Hi Ravi,
> >
> > the fact that Cotti refers to Gothi on Tacitus' coins is
undisputed.
> > Firstly, the inscription Victoriae Cotti refers to victories over
> > people called Cotti. The ony victories that the elderly Tacitus
> > achieved in his short reign were over the Goths. I think he was
even
> > awarded the title of Gothicus. Finally, if I remember correctly
> > contemporary sources stated that the emperor celebrated his
victories
> > over the Goths with this coin series. Hence, 'Victoriae Cotti'
is the
> > same as the Victoriae Gothic on the coins of his imidiate
predessors.

> > cheers,
> > Dirk
> >

> > > This may be unrelated, but
> > >
> > > The classical greeks, wrote of SandraCott-us, and also
SasiCott-us,
> > > these are identified , mostly, with indian names -
ChandraGupta and
> > > SasiGupta., which appear to sanskritized versions of Chandra-
gut.

> > > Thus Gupta( the G as in Greek)  is also derived in eralier
times
> > from
> > > Gut,( G as in German ), though Gut which also means a 'group'(
G as
> > > in Greek). also exists.
> > >
> > > I could not help note the similarity
> > >
> > > Input appreciated
> > >
> > > Ravi
> >

> > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at e...>.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM