[gothic-l] Re: The Gepidic Language

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Sep 19 06:01:53 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Underneath a few examples of Gepidic words:
>
> People = thiuda
> King= reiks
> Blood=bloth
> Man= wair
> Father= atta, fadar
> Mother= aithei
> Son=sunus
>
> Comments on similarity with the Gothic language
> would be welcome.

Now I know where you got this list from. It is picked from H. Sevin's
book 'Die Gebiden'. Unfortunately, Sevin is very shy with his
sources, often leaving his readers to guess where his material comes
from. However, if you read his text carefully, you will find that he
implies that the words are taken from the Wulfila bible (e.g. look
under the entry for mother). Thus, these are in fact Gothic words
assumed by Sevin to be identical or very similar to Gepidic words.
Hence, a discussion about their similarity with the Gothic language
is rather unecessary, because they are Gothic.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM