[gothic-l] Re: Carpathians and Croatians

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 19 08:18:37 UTC 2003

Hi, Vladimir,

Thank you very much for your appreciation.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> Hi Francisc!
>
> Except for some questionable notes, e.g. ethnicity
> of the Bastarnae and Peucini (the latter were a branch
> of the former?), which probably had the Celtic origin
> rather than German one and, accordingly, scarcely spoke
> an East German language, your basic conjectures look
> very attractive. I like your etymology of the Croats
> from the Gothic *harbada.

Most sources that I have read (including such authorities like Herwig
Wolfram in "Die Germanen") state that the Bastarnae were an East
Germanic tribe, although I don't know what is the support for such an
assertion. I have also read that in fact it is not clear whether the
Bastarnae were Celtic or Germanic. Wolfram considers a mixed
character of the Bastarnae, interpreting their name as "the
bastards", in opposition to the Skirians - the "sheer" (Got. skeirs),
i.e. "pure Germanic".
The Peucini were indeed a branch of the Bastarnae, who lived
(according to Ptolemy) in the Danube Delta. Their name seems to be
derivated from an island in the Danube Delta, called Peuce (although
I have also read that Peuce was in fact Leuke, the ancient name of
the Ostrov Zmeiny in the Black Sea).
Regarding the etymology of "Hrvat", I have read that it is of unknown
origin. The similarity with "harbada" (pronounced like [harvada])
arose suddenly in my head, but it could be only a mere coincidence.
Anyway, I like it too.

> Moreover, I believe that the East Goths having been
> dislodged westward by the Huns involved some Slavic
> tribes from the Carpathian Mountains into their long
> drift to Apennines. The Gothic migration might have
> separated the South Slavic tribes (conceivably
> the 'Antes') and initiate the further distinction
> between the Croats and Serbs. Note that both peoples
> speak the same language up to nowadays. But the Slavic
> tribes, which had migrated with the East Goths, entered
> the Roman influence area, accepted the Roman Catholicism
> and became Croats while other South Slavic tribes,
> which had followed the West Goths, remained in
> the Byzantine influence area, joined the Orthodox Church
> and became Serbs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-
microsoft-com:office:office" />

> Vladimir

Very interesting your theory about the Slavic migrations triggered by
the Goths. As far as I have read, a major role in the movement of
Slavic tribes played the Avars, but it is possible that the Goths
also played a role, since the Slavic migration begun before the
arrival of the Avars.
I don't understand why you state that the South Slavic tribes who
followed the West Goths joined the Orthodox Church, since the West
Goths had nothing to do with Orthodoxism (they were Arian, and in
Spain became Catholics). As far as I know, the only Goths who joined
the Orthodox Church were the Crimean Goths (but the Gothi Minores,
who settled south of Danube with Wulfila, although initially Arian,
must have become Orthodox, parallel with their assimilation by the
Slavic population).
Regarding the origin of South Slavs, I have read in a Romanian
history book that they were rather "Sclavini" than "Antes", but there
was no argument given for this assertion.

With best regards,
Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM