[gothic-l] Re: Carpathians and Croatians

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 25 08:47:26 UTC 2003

Dear Vladimir,

Very interesting indeed, because Greutungi/Tervingi represent the
opposition "plain dwellers / wood dwellers", exactly
like "Polyane/Drevlyane". About the opposition "Serbs/Croats"
(Srb/Hrvat), you don't have to forget that these are old Slavic
tribal names, found also elsewhere in the Slavic world ("Serbs" are
also the Sorabs, or Lusacian Serbs, still living in NE Germany,
while "Croats" were also the White Croats, who lived approx. where is
now the Transcarpatian Region [Zakarpatskaya Oblast'] of Ukraine).
The Illyric languages represent a separate branch of Indo-European.
In the past, some scholars regarded them as closely related to
Thracian, speaking about a "Thraco-Illyric" language group, but today
they are regarded rather as different branches of Indo-European, the
Thracian languages (Geto-Daco-Moesian, Southern Thracian, and Mysian)
being "satem" languages, most closely related probably to Phrygian,
while the Illyric languages where apparently rather "centum"
languages.
Regarding the origin of the name "Tervingi", the most accepted
interpretation (found also in Köbler's comprehensive "Gotisches
Wörterbuch") is "woodlanders, inabitants of the woods", the root terv-
 being considered a variant of the Gothic word "triu" = "wood, stick"
(cognate, for instance, with the English word "tree" and, on Indo-
European level, for instance with the Greek "drus" = "oak", and with
Russian "derevo").
I tried to gothicize your first name as "Waldamer(ei)s", because once
I have read that "Vladimir" comes from "Valdemar", and the last would
be in Gothic "Waldamer(ei)s". The form "Lodomer" for "Vladimir" as a
place name is found indeed in the Hungarian chronicle "Gesta
Hungarorum", with anonymous author (called "Anonymus"), of the
11/12th century, but describing events of the 9/10th century. I
thought that "Lodomer" is an Old Hungarian deformation of "Vladimir"
(probably in the variant "Volodimir/Wlodimir") rather than the
correct form for "Vladimir". This supposition is supported also by
the fact that "Vladimir" became in Lithuanian "Valdimieras", with the
significance "ruler, king" (exactly like the Latin proper name Caesar
becoming "kaisar" in Gothic, "Kaiser" in German, and "tzar" in
Slavic, all meaning "emperor", or the Frankish proper name Karl
becoming korol'/krol/kral' in Slavic languages, meaning "king"). But
in case you're right, than the Gothic form of "Vladimir" would
be "Hlothamer(ei)s".

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM