[gothic-l] Re: Vladimir

brugerfejl lars.larsen at RING-DANES.DK
Mon Aug 25 15:10:53 UTC 2003

Hi,
Just to the origin of Valdemar/Vladimir.
To my best knowledge Valdemar is not a norse name, in Scandinavia I
think the common opinion is that it derives from Vladimir and not
the other way round. I have not heard that Valdemar was in use
before the 12 century and often as name for kings or powerful men.
Probably the vikings travelling east must have known that Vladi
meant 'to rule' anyway Valdemar would be an perfect name to
a 'scandinavian' king as Vald meant power, dominion, violence. A
norse word 'valdmaðr' did exist but as far as I know only for naming
a 'public officer/ authority' or whatever that would be in english...

Cheers
Lars

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM