[gothic-l] Re: Gothic names

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Feb 3 09:59:32 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> Hi, Troels!
>
> Thank you for the exhaustive anthology regarding Hrothwulf,
> even if my gratitude reaches you with a week delay.
>
> Unfortunately, the series for Hrothrik was shorter.
> Except for Beowulf (I just reconstructed *Hrothrik from
> Beowulf's HROTHmund + hredRIK) you mentioned Saxon's
> Röric (Roeric) and compared this form with HraerekR
> of the sagas as "synonymous". Identity of "Roeric" and
> "HraerekR" is very important for me.

Hi Vladimir

If this is the identity you want to use, you have to be aware that
this was based on a comparison of figures in the sagas and Gesta
Danorum. I (and others) may have made a wrong comparison or Saxo may
have made a mistake when he spelled the name. As already mentioned I
did not look at this from a linguistic point of view.

Troels