[gothic-l] Goths in Fiction

greg scaff g_scaff at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 12 01:56:12 UTC 2003

Hello all,

   I realise this isn't the normal Gothic list matter- but- more or less out of curiosity, I have compiled a list of novels in English consisting of Goths as main characters, or set within the various Gothic lands.  I would be interested in hearing about any others.  I have :

An Odor of Sanctity  Frank Yerby.   A Visigoth in Islamic Spain

Lest Darkness Fall  L.Sprague de Camp  A time traveler lands in the last days of Ostrogothic Italy and alters history.  Includes a few fragments of vernacular Gothic.

Raptor  Gary Jennings  Set in the beginnings of the Ostrogothic kingdom, again there are a few  sentences of spoken Gothic.

One question  I'd like to  ask the  linguists-  these latter 2 novels include  rare scraps of vernacular Gothic- outside of linguistic texts, in print, what other attempts have their been at spoken Gothic since  say, the Middle ages?

Thanks,

Greg