[gothic-l] Goths in Fiction

stevepollington <stevep@saxnot.demon.co.uk> stevep at SAXNOT.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Feb 12 19:47:06 UTC 2003

Hi Greg
>    I realise this isn't the normal Gothic list matter- but- more
or less
out of curiosity, I have compiled a list of novels in English
consisting of
Goths as main characters, or set within the various Gothic lands.  I
would
be interested in hearing about any others.  I have :

There is also Death of Attilla by Cecilia Holland which deals with
the
friendship of two young men, one a Goth and one a Hun. Very well
written and
fast-paced.

> One question  I'd like to  ask the  linguists-  these latter 2
novels
include  rare scraps of vernacular Gothic- outside of linguistic
texts, in
print, what other attempts have their been at spoken Gothic since
say, the
Middle ages?

Look out for "Songs of the Ancient Goths" by "Albareiks".
HallDream Recordings, 2002. Contact Theod PO BOx 8062 Watertown NY
13601 or
www.theod.net
Eleven tracks of Gothic music (not metallic Goths, but harp and
organ music
based on Vizigothic mediaeval toons) most with Gothic lyrics. The
tour-de-force is Sa Gutiska Weidasinþs, the OE Widsith poem
translated into
Gothic and set to music. Whacky or what?
Cheers
Steve