[gothic-l] Re: Analogy between fate of Eruli and Burgundians?

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jan 7 15:09:22 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> --- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...>"
>
>  I would
> > rather think that the Heruls going north were
> > followed by other pagan
> > Germanic people being defeated or threathened at
> > this time of the new
> > Christian groups as Franks and Lombards. Alamans is
> > one example as
> > they were pressed from 498 AD - Thuringians is maybe
> > another
>
> *****GK: When you say "followed" do you mean to say
> that these Alamans and Thuringians joined the original
> trekkers or that they went north on their own?*****

While Procopius described the people escaping at last to the Romans
as perplexed loosers (here I agree with Dirk execpt about the
numbers), he described the group going north headed by many of royal
blood as a determined group - archaeology confirms that they at least
due to trade connections knew where to go. If we assume that this is
correct - which to me appears probable - the first group would be
avoided and the last would be joined by people who were not satisfied
in their own society. This is a natural reaction, and small groups of
followers would normally follow the groups of trekkers - not go the
same way themselves. I guess this was what happened with the
Cimbrians too.

I do not talk about whole tribes, but unsatisfied people in societies
under pressure by Franks, Lombards and Christianity - a pressure
which may have caused split in these societies as we know happened at
least two times among the Heruls.

This would result in the mixed archaeological pattern, which has been
discussed a lot of times.

This is just mentioned as a more probable alternative than Dirks
suggestion, and Dirks comments should be answered too in the above.

Troels