[gothic-l] Re: Analogy between fate of Eruli and Burgundians?

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jan 21 19:37:26 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:

> >Tore,
> >
> >according to the publisher, the book is concerned with the period
> >from ca 500AD to 1000AD and looks at the foundations of early
> >Scandinavian society and the Vendel culture.
>
> Dirk,
> Where do you get that from.
>
> You have yourself quoted:
>
> "Using the evidence of archaeology, poetry, legal texts and annals,
> this volume investigates the social, economic and symbolic
structures
> of early Scandinavia at the time of the Viking expansion. The
> contributors provide an outline ethnograpjy, covering dwellings and
> settlements, kinship and social relations, law, political structures
> and external relations, rural and urban economies, and the ideology
> of warfare. "
>
> That is definitely not the 6th century.
>
> Tore

Tore

The title of the book is:
"Scandinavians from the Vendel period to the tenth century"
and as the Vendel period starts around 565 AD Dirk may be right.

I would not be surprised if an archaeologist writes that an
immigration in Scandinavia can not be traced by archaeology - and I
know Dirk has heard that earlier too. My point was that there is no
reason to waste any more time on the discussion with or without that
statement unless new aspects are presented.

Troels