[gothic-l] Germanic and Rumania was Re: Goths and Getae

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 4 12:21:29 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
com:office:office" />

> Don't you overestimate the time period when
>

> "Germanic tribes, especially Goths and Gepids occupied
> the area of modern Rumania... some 300 years or so"?

Hi Vladimir,

possibly, but I simply took the 300 years from Francisc's earlier
post and he repeated it in his last message. I assumed that it was
approximately right.

> Real influence of the Goths in Dacia could not
> begin before Valentus, i.e. the end of the 4th c.
> and could not help finishing after Avar invasion
> in 6th c. Hence, we do not gather even 200 years.

I would have to check this now, but I was under the impression that
the first Dacia (i.e. the area of Romania) was given to the Goths at
an earlier date, I think in 275AD. The Romans then created a second
Dacia (Dacia Ripense). The Gepidic kingdom, also partly on Romanian
territory was defeated in about 565AD, which makes about 300 years.
In addition, the Bavarian mission record the existence of Gepids
still in the 9th century.

> Further, the term "occupied" seems to be too
> pretentious. Visigoths, though having shattered
> Valentus, seized no towns. There are serious
> doubts that the Goths (plus the Gepides) really
> did occupy (!) Dacia and were there real rulers.

There can be no doubt that Dacia, and other Roman provinces were at
least in the 5th century under the direct rule of Gepids, and
Ostrogoths.

> As opposed to the Romans.

The Gepidic rule over the region, under a succession of kings lasted
from at least 454 to 565, but Gepids had lived their for much longer

Cheers
Dirk

> Vladimir

The
> Romans had occupied the area only from about 106AD to 276AD. Yet,
> they had apparently a much more profound impact on the population.
In
> only 170 years they had afforded a language change, while some 300
> years of Germanic settlement left no or few traces in the modern
> Romanic language.
>
> Now, this survival of the Rumanian/Romance language seems to
indicate
> that during the whole period of Germanic settlement in those areas
> there remained a relatively strong local population. However,
> historical source do not seem to report much if anything about
them.
> What is the view of Romanian historiography to account for this?
>
> Thanks
> Dirk

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM