[gothic-l] Re: Wielbark Culture

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 11 10:34:50 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk, I am beginning to think you are deliberately not
commenting
> on this point mentioned by Christensen:

Hi Sunny,

what is there to comment on? If you have a question about this
statement please formulate it. Otherwise I cannot see what is unclear
about this for you.

Clearly, we know that the Wielbark culture shifted from the Vistula
to the Black Sea where it developed into the Chernyakhovsk culture.
We know that the Gothi were part of the Chernyakhovsk culture. Since
this culture came mostly from the Vistula, we assume that the
Gothones, who are mentioned there by Tacitus and Ptolemy are the
forerunners of the Gothi.

Cheers
Dirk

> "My omission of the discussion of the archaeological discoveries in
> what is now Poland is intentional. They are normally identified
with
> the Goths (the Wielbark culture). However, the basis for this
> identification is Jordanes's Getica along with the texts
> mentioned here, written by Strabo, Pliny, Tacitus, and Ptolemy. If
> the
> archaeologists did not find the name-related material here, they
> would naturally not be able to attach any names of certain peoples
> their finds since, to my knowledge, no inscriptions have been found
> that indicate any particular ethnicity. The archaeologists are
> therefore unable to prove that the antique texts deal with Goths
> (Christensen 2002:40)."
>
> Christensen, A.S. Cassidorus Jordanses and the History of the Goths
> Studies in a Migration Myth. Copenhagen. Museum Tusculanum Press:
> 2002.
>
> Best Wishes,

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM