[gothic-l] Re: Jats

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 11 11:03:50 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> "The Goths have nothing, whatsoever to do with any Indian group
> called
> Jat or similar. Unless either of you come up with good recent
> historical evidence (not quotes from century old books) I think
> nobody here is keen to discuss this outlandish fantasy further."
>
> The following is a short list modern Jat clan names are unique to
> India, have not been corrupted, nor borrowed (see Dhillon).  Here
are
> a few that match European names, mainly German names.  Some of
these
> clan like Gill, Mann, and Dhillon number in the several tens of
> thousands:
>
> -	Gill
> -	Mann
> -	Birk
> -	Bains
> -	Bal
> -	Hal
> -	Bhuller
> -	Dhillon
> -	Maur or More
> -	Mand
> -       Mangat
> -	Malli
> -	Lally
> -	Hans
> -	Herr
> -	Chiller
> -	Sandher

Sunny,

I am a German and there is nothing particular German about most of
these names. Of course, Sandher seems similar to the German PN
Sander. Yet, Sander is derived from Greek Alexander. Herr of course
means lord in German, but in old high German this word would
be 'Hari'. Do you suggest that the word underwent a parallel
development in India as in Germany? Also, Hans is of course a German
first name, but it is derived from hebrew Johannes. At any rate, your
list does not contain real German or Germanic names.

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM