Re: [gothic-l] Re: Jats über alles??

yair davidiy britam at NETVISION.NET.IL
Sat Jul 12 19:27:40 UTC 2003

At 05:32 PM 7/12/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>--- It s somewhat uncalled for to try and equate my investigation in
>Jat history and the links or lack of links phrases like " Uber
>Alles", something that at the very least throws up some very negative
>connotations of events some 2/3 of a century ago in Europe.

The use of this phrase is indeed offensive and superfluous in the context.
Also the claim that Goths were in India has been made in the past by
respectable historians
and therefore on that basis alone should be worth considering.
In addition: It is agreed that however they got there the Goths were to be
found along the northern shores of the Black Sea.
It is also  agreed that the Goths could be referred to as "Get" or as
"Guti". The Massagetae east of the Caspian Sea were
regarded by some roman writers as Goths.
It has been claimed that the Massagetae are the Yueh-chi of Chinese records
and that this name was actually pronounced
by the Chinese as Ta-Geti or "Great Geti". Similarly the name Massagetae
has also been explained to mean "Great Geti".
The Massagetae were in Central Asia and there were incursions from that
area into India.
Scandinavian legends trace their ancestry to the region of "Yadi" just
north of Central Asia.
One could say that all this is coincidence and means nothing.
To my mind however it does seem like a possibility that may be worth
considering.
Certainly it is not something to get uptight about.
It works both ways.
Ideologically it could just as legitimately be asked:
Why should a presumedly North European person be irritated by the
possibility that a classic European group (the Goths)
may also have had connections with other ethnic groups?

Buy 1, Get 1 FREE
Control Cravings & Hunger EZ! Fast Acting Natural Oral Spray - $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rJIe0D/99VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM