[gothic-l] reg.> Gothinos Gallica

hrafnsnest wulfsligrs at CENTURYTEL.NET
Mon Jul 14 19:00:14 UTC 2003

Hails,
  Interesting.  Why is it then that my copy (trans. by H. Mattingly,
1948) reads, "Cotini"(a Celtic tribe)rather than what is purposed by
the web site you provided?  Given the importance of such a submissive
characterization, "working the mines", and "paying tribute", I would
think that such scholars as H. Wolfram, P. Heather, and lets not
forget Jordanes, would have made mention of this.
  While I do not have a Latin copy of this front of me, it would be
appreciated if someone on the list who does can check this.

Best,
Valulfr

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Valulfr,
>
> You asked about the following statement by Tacitus: "Gothinos
> Gallica, Osos Pannonica lingua coarguit non esse Germanos."
>
> Translation:
>
> "
.From the Gallic language spoken by the Gothinians, and from that
> of Pannonia by the Osians, it is manifest that neither of these
> people are Germans
."

> http://www.romansonline.com/sources/ger/Bk01_43.asp
>
> Regards,

Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM