[gothic-l] Re: Gothones / Cotini

hrafnsnest wulfsligrs at CENTURYTEL.NET
Mon Jul 14 21:11:08 UTC 2003

Hi Sunny,
  Again, I find it interesting that the web-site you provided,
translated by A.J.Church & W.J.Brodribb, renders "Cotini"
as "Gothinos" (ch.43), and in (ch.44) "trans Lygios Gotones" is
rendered correctly as "Beyond the Lygians dwell the Gothones".  I
wonder what would have motivated them to translate to two as
Gothones.
Just an observation........
Valulfr

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Valulfr,
>
> I quoted Rackus who mentions the "Gothinos" as the Goths.
>
> Tacitus does seem to write this as "Cotini" and not Gothinos, and
he
> claims they are not Germans.  Perhaps Rackus was incorrect in this
> observation.   Maybe Dirk can shed some light on "Cotini"
> and "Gotones", whom Tacitus seems to imply are German.
>
> Cotini or Gothinians:
>
> "From the Gallic language spoken by the Gothinians, and from that
of
> Pannonia by the Osians, it is manifest that neither of these people
> are Germans; as it is also from their bearing to pay tribute."
>
> Gothones:
>
> "Beyond the Lygians dwell the Gothones, under the rule of a king;
and
> thence held in subjection somewhat stricter than the other German
> nations, yet not so strict as to extinguish all their liberty."
>
> http://www.romansonline.com/sources/ger/Bk01_44.asp
>
> Regards,

Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM