[gothic-l] Re: Gothones / Cotini

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 15 07:44:06 UTC 2003

Firstly, please correct me if I remember this wrongly, but Rackus, is
that not the Lithuanian author who, in the 1920s or so tried to argue
that the Goths are really Lithuanians? If that is him, and you are
using his work - don't. His book is a compilation of errors and
mistakes.

About Cotini and Gothones, these are clearly two different groups.
Tacitus describes the Cotini as Celts, while the Gothones are seen as
Germanic by him. I don't know why some authors transcribed Cotini to
Gothiniani or similar, but I don't think that this would be the case
in the authorative translations.

Cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
<ravichaudhary2000 at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs at c...>
wrote:
> > Hi Sunny,
> >   Again, I find it interesting that the web-site you provided,
> > translated by A.J.Church & W.J.Brodribb, renders "Cotini"
> > as "Gothinos" (ch.43), and in (ch.44) "trans Lygios Gotones" is
> > rendered correctly as "Beyond the Lygians dwell the Gothones".  I
> > wonder what would have motivated them to translate to two as
> > Gothones.
> > Just an observation........
> > Valulfr
> >

> We would do well to get Francisc's input on this linguistic question
>
> Ravi

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM