[gothic-l] Re: America - Almarich (missunderstanding)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 15 08:33:58 UTC 2003

Hy Sunny,

I'm very sorry about a missunderstanding of mine.
I firstly understood from your message that you stated that Amerigo
Vespucci lived in the 12th century. Reading again your message, I
understand now that you said in fact that the name "Amerigo" appeared
for the first time in Italian in the 12th century.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hy, Sunny,
>
> I knew the fact that the name "America", first used in 1507 by the
> German cosmographer Martin Waldseemüller (1470-1522) is derived
from
> the name of the Italian navigator and explorer Amerigo Vespucci
> (latinised: Americus Vespucius), who lived between 1454-1512 (and
not
> in the 12th century, as you state), and that the name Amerigo is of
> Germanic (not necessarily Gothic) origin. It is possible that it
> ultimately derives from Amalrich (which is obviously a Gothic name,
> attested in the 6th century as Amalaricus, cf. Köbler's "Gotisches
> Wörterbuch", 1989; in Wulfilan Gothic it woud be *Amala-reiks). But
> knew that Amerigo is in fact a variant of the Italian name Emerico,
> wich is also of Germanic origin, but related rather to the German
> name "Heinrich".
> There is also another hypothesis, that "America" could be derived
> from "Amerrique" (probably from a Native American language), the
name
> of a mountain range in Nicaragua, used by early explorers for the
> newly discovered land (cf. Webster's New World College Dictionary,
> 1994).
>
> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
> <sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> > Hi Francisc,
> >
> > "Ghaddafi, trying to demonstrate the superiority of the Arab
> culture,
> > among other arguments, derived the name "America" from a certain
> Arab
> > called "Emir Kah"! This is not far from Jat=Get=Goth."
> >
> > Let's examine a fun-fact suggested by Kephart who claims that the
> > Goths were PARTLY responsible for the name of America?
> >
> > The name Amerigo showed up in Italian around the 12th Century and
> was
> > introduced by the Goths in the 6th century – Amal.  Hence, the
> > etymology
. Amalrich "work ruler" [German] – Amerigo [Italian] –
> > America.    Therefore, it may be possible that America was named
> > after Vespucci, an Italian, with a Gothic name?
> >
> > For a detailed explanation behind this name see Calvin Kephart.
> > Regards,

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM