[gothic-l] Re; Francisc

Sunny sunnyjat12002 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 15 16:41:24 UTC 2003

Hi Francisc,

"Indeed, as I already mentioned, ti was not my intention to offend
anybody. I just wanted to warn against that kind of excessed to which
unfortunately I was witness in too many instances, as I have shown in
my message. Maybe the "über alles" was an unhappy choise, I used it
only to be more convincing. And I have to apologize if anybody felt
offended by this, having in view that in that message I used this
expression not only for Jats, but also for Romanians, Hungarians,
Jews, Turks, Austronesians, etc."

No one was offended by this comment, for me it is actually
encouraging.  I can understand your concern, but the identification
with the Jats and Getae is by no means a terra incognita, it was
first proposed from Western perspective by Father Monserate (1536-
1600), a Jesuit Priest in Akbar's (Moghul King) court; he believed
the Jats were the Getae of the Classical writers.  In the mid 1750's
Joseph De Guignes, the French Orientalist also claimed the Jats were
Indo-Scythians.

James Tod, in 1829, was the first to suggest the link between Rajput,
Jat, Getae, Yuezhi, and the Goths.  Alexander Cunningham, the former
Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India, in 1888,
suggest the Jats were descendents of the Xanthi of Strabo, and then
later (1894) the Iatii (Yuezhi) of Ptolemy.  By the 1930's British
authorities used the words "Jat", "Getae", and "Scythian"
interchangeably; though this notation, in my opinion, was loose and
crude.

Cunningham, A. Coins of the Indo-Scythians, Sakas, and Kushans.
Varanasi, India. Reprinted by Indological Book House: 1971, first
published in 1888.

Cunningham A. Later Indo-Scythians, from the Numismatic Chronicle
1893-1894. Varanasi, India. Reprinted by Indological Book House:
1979, first published in 1894.

De Guignes.  Academi des Inscriptions. Vol. XXV: 1756.

Maclagan, E. The Jesuits and The Great Moghals. Gurgaon, India.
Vintage Books: 1990.

Tod, J. Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan. Vol. 1. Delhi. Motilal
Banarsidass: 1971, First Published in 1829.

Take care,

Control Hunger EZ with fast acting oral EZ Appetite Suppressant Spray
from VitaminBoost.com. 1 Month Supply - 2oz., 80 sprays: $19.97.
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aSJFwB/XWXGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM