[gothic-l] Re:

Sunny sunnyjat12002 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 15 17:13:56 UTC 2003

Dear Albareiks and others,

First of all, I appreciate your fair-mindedness and objectivity in
this discussion.  We are not here to cause problem, simply learn more
about the origins of the Goths, which has been shrouded in mystery
since Jordanes' Getica (why not Gothica? Jordanes was a Goth
himself).  In any event

"Sunny and Ravi have been arguing not that the Goths were Jats, but
that the
Jats and Goths are both descendents of the Getae. Why have you tried
twist their argument?"

Precisely.

"Though I do not agree with Ravi and Sunny, I do admire their
spirit of open mindedness and their exploration of different ideas."

Neither am I completely bent on the identification between the Goths
and Getae, or the Goths and Scythians, but the shear fact that
classical writer like Dexippos, Orosious, Cassidorus, Isidore of
Seville, Jordanes, etc. mention the Scythians or the Getae and that
as Dirk suggests many well-respected writers up to present have
been "misled" shows there must by some reason for Pinkerton, Grimm,
Rawlinson, Tod, Kephart (1960), etc. to make their identification.  I
don't think we can close the door on the Scythians, they had
incredible mobility as horse-mounted nomads and left very little of
Eurasia unexplored.

Even the most modern writers namely Wolfram (1988) and Christensen
(2002) can't close the book on the Getae or Scythians.   Dirk is
certainly not the first to slam the door shut on Scythians - much of
modern scholarship suggests that the classical writers were guilty of
manufacturing history. Hogkin and Mierow, for example, have suggested
this and actually rejected portion of the Getica as erroneous.  In
response, Calvin Kephart writes rather emphatically, "Cassidorus was
correct in identifying the Getae of Northern Thrace and chief western
Scythians (other than the Skolotic Kimmerians) after 634 BC as the
Gothic nation, and it was erroneous for both Hodgkin and Mierow to
reject chapters V-XIII of the Getica as a source of Gothic History
(Kephart 1960: 466-467)."

A little more recently, Littleton and Malcor, in a rather interesting
and controversial book on Arthurian Legends entitled From Scythia to
Camelot, argue that the core of the Arthurian legends were actually
Iranian and came to Europe from the Sarmatians and Alans; they
respond to a claim by author Goffart:

"According to Goffart, the Romans thought of the Goths as `Scythians'
because they inhabited and used `Goth' as a new term for the same
people instead of thinking of a new people on the old land.  In
actuality the Romans may have known what they were talking about,
given the number of Sarmatian and Alan tribes that were allied with
the various tribes of Goths (Littleton and Malcor 2000: 27)."

So were the classical writers guilty of manufacturing history or ---?

Kephart, C. Races of Mankind Their Origin and Migration. New York.
Philosophical Library: 1960.

Littleton C. and Malcor, L. From Scythia to Camelot. New York.
Garland Publishing: 2000.

Regards,

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM