[gothic-l] Ravi and Sunny

AElfric and Ursula amali at SOFTHOME.NET
Wed Jul 16 16:59:01 UTC 2003

Hello Andreas,

<<I would expect that the moderator of this list should not support
unfounded and
speculative theories and drive away one of the most productive and
knowledgeable
members of this list.>>

Thank you for your response.  Comming from you, I can't argue with that.  It
is not my intention to support unfounded and speculative theories, rather
only to protect those persons who formulated them from unfair treatment.
Nor is it my intention to drive away one of the most productive members of
the list, rather only to request that he treat other list members
respectfully.

<<To answer your first question cited above, some of us know that
since the late middle ages there has been  the phenomenon scientifically
called
gothicism, the attempt to draw a connection between one's own time and
people and
the Goths to legitimize political aspirations (See f.i. Svennung on this and
the article
"Gothicismus" in Hoops RGA)) and some of us should know it.>>

Indeed, the Storgoticism of Johannes Magnus and Johannes Bureus in the 16th
century had its beginnings in the 1200s and then was later taken up by the
Romantics.  But was this movement really so large and widespread that it
effected so many writers in so many countries?  And why the Goths?

<<If you want a serious answer on the similarities of ethnic names like
Goths, Gauts,
Gats, and so on, you should bear in mind that according to the linguists
these names,
as far as they are gernanic, are all connected with the protogermanic verb
*geutan, "to
pour out semen", and simply mean "men". That peoples with an indoeuropean
language call themselves "men" in their own language, should not really
surprise
anyone discussing in a philological list and does have as basis any direct
descendence
or connection between the different peoples besides their linguistic
connection. The
common indoeuropean connection is a philological one, not a common
tradition.>>

I had been thinking along the lines of something similar.  I think that this
is an important point which can lay to rest the question of a connection
between the various Indo-European tribal groups with a G-t- name.  As
Andreas says, "the connection is a philological one, not a common
tradition."  It is not that any tribes such as the Jats, Getae, Goths, et al
had descent from any one of these groups, rather, these were simply all
Indo-European peoples who had long ago shared the same culture and language
before any of them had become distinct from one another.  The attributes
which cause people to identify Jats, Getae and Goths with one another is
actually just pointing at the shared Indo-European ancestry of these
peoples.

I would like to ask you, Andreas, from the professional perspective, would
it be acceptable to go so far as to say that given its widespread
distribution in Indo-European cultures as a tribal name, that the *Gheud-
root was likely one of the names that the Proto-Indo-European people called
themselves?

Albareiks

Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
(1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM