[gothic-l] History and the Scientific method

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 17 21:22:57 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Schwarcz"
<andreas.schwarcz at u...> wrote:

Dr Schwartz's explanation is one that I find most helpful and
illuminating.

As he says
"
"From the professional perspective of a historian, not a linguist, I
would say that we do not have any written evidence whatsoever how and
what the Proto-Europeans  called themselves. So we can only guess.
But the probability is high"

 And that is exactly what I wish to draw our attention to, versions
of history.

 Some  words and phrases  are quite popular-

" the origin is obscure "  "guesswork," and "probable", undoubtedly
more examples many can thought of.

 This then gets translated , - a few references later- into fact, as
the earlier work is now cited as an authority.

 So exploration of a subject is legitimate, but caution too must be
used.

 On professionalism.

No disrespect is intended by me to any professional, especially a
professional historian.

I would hope that we do not take the view that persons from other
disciplines are unable to contribute to our understanding of History.

Ravi

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM