[gothic-l] Re: Scientific methodology, Kephart, Dhillon (was); Andreas

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 23 08:23:16 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
<ravichaudhary2000 at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> >
> Msg: 7258
>
> First let me say, that I wish to thank Dr Schwartz for the time he
> has taken to write his response. By now I how our list owner has
also
> mollified Dr Faltin, and we will again see Dr Faltin's valuable
> contributions.

Hi Ravi,

nobody has mollified me ... and please address be by the first name,
as is common practice on these lists. Or do you prefer to be
addressed as Mr. Chaudhary?

> Scientific method:-
>
> May I request Dr Schwartz to resist using terms like `nonsense';
they
> do cut any ice or add toward a solution or understanding.

I think sometimes it is perfectly valid to use a clear term in order
to express a clear opinion. If something makes no sense in ones view
why should it be a problem to say so. Nonsense means that something
makes no sense, and Andreas should be in a position to evaluate what
makes sense and what doesn't with regards to our subject.

> He is not quite right in claiming that there are various kinds of
> scientific methodology, deductive, inductive, repeatable and non-
> repeatable.

I have an academic education as well and Andreas is certainly right,
there are various kinds of scientific methodology. Some of these
methods are more useful in certain fields than others though. Hence,
Physicists often rely on repeatable experiments, while social
scientists mostly resort to sampling techniques. You can read up on
this in the works of Karl Popper for example.

> The essence of scientific methodology is data, and a hypothesis,
and
> the evolvement of the hypothesis, as new evidence surfaces.
> Hypothesis or theories can, do, and should be modified, as more and
> more variables are taken into account.
>
> Yes, a Mechanical engineer and a medical doctor or a plasma physics
> researcher can not , prima facie obtain in dept technical knowledge
> of each other's field, but the basic principles and methods they
will
> apply will be the same- enquiry, hypothesis, empirical data.

In subjects like history empirical data is often hard to come by or
simply unoptainable. Instead, the historian often relies on one or
more written sources, which he subjects to philological analysis.

> If Dr Schwartz is suggesting that some History is an exception, and
> inductive, deductive principles, and guesswork can make a solid
> foundation, I will beg to differ.

In no way did Andreas state that guesswork can make a solid
foundation for historical research. If I remember, Andreas teaches
among others historical methodology and I am afraid that you are
moving on very thin ice when you want to accuse Andreas of unsound
historical methodology or lack of understanding of methodology.

As I said above, the data available to the historian is essentially
of a different nature to the data available to many physical
scientists. As a result, a historian cannot subject his data to the
same method of enquiry than many other academic fields. In fact,
there is even dispute about the value of theory in historical
research. A chemistist, would seek to optain his data by means of
controlled experiments. He would than analyse his data in the
framework of existing theory and derive his conclusions. A historian
cannot normally do that.

> ****************
> Kephart:
>
> When Prof. Kephart wrote his book, late 19th century, terms like
race
> etc were commonly used, to define groups of people. This term may
not
> be politically correct today. If however no Ill intentions are
there,
> then we need not presume any such ill intentions, and use it like
> intended" a technical term."
>
> We are discussing Goths-
>

>  Q – are they a race ?, a group,?0 do they have an identity?.

The Goths were certainly not a race. They were a polity.

> If in the 19th century race was used to define group, in an
> acceptable sense,  one need not be offended 100 years later.

I don't think anybody was offended. Yet, Andreas is right, the use of
the term race is no longer valid in this context, given our knowledge
of what constitutes a race.

> **********
> "Goths in India".
> I read
> Franz Altheim, die Welt der Hunnen
>

>  When such references are cited, the poster may well be satisfied,
> that was an analogy. What does Franz Altheim say? Can you share it
> with us? Post some excerpts??
>

>  Does this term mean " the world of the Huns"
>
> What are his sources ? Does he consult any  non European Sources?,
> Does he know any non European languages ?

A professional historian writing a book on any subject of late
antiquity will know the relevant languages needed to read the sources
in its original. Hence, hence you can assume that historians of that
period always read Latin and Greek and have access to all relevant
other literature in authorative translation if necessary.

Cheers
Dirk

PS my messages arrive nowadays with long delays or not at all!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM